The Slime Mould Collective

An international network of/for intelligent organisms

It took three months of preparation but we did it - physarum at the biggest science fair in the country - the Big Bang fair aimed at children from 8 - 17 years old.Twenty thousand visitors a day over four days at the NEC.

Since November my study has been a stack of 25cm culture dishes of yellowy goo and tea trays full of what looked like drying snot on paper. 
At half a kilo of oats a week my check out vouchers now mostly feature porridge related products.  Satansburys are wondering why I'm not buying a correspondingly large volume of toilet paper but it was worth it. 
We managed 2000 generous portions of sclerotia given out to just  a thousand people on the stand.  Over four days my brave volunteers explained mazes,  classical conditioning and the travelling salesman problem to six or seven thousand people and gave slime mould to a number of children's bbc presenters ( who will now slowly be infected and assimilated ). Some people struggled to believe that what we had here was a living thing but I think we managed to convince them and now schools, families and scout groups all over country have their own Mazies to play with.
I'm already planning next year....

Views: 132

Reply to This

© 2024   Created by Heather Barnett.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service