The Slime Mould Collective

An international network of/for intelligent organisms

So - my old methods ( spraying with disinfectant/bleach )  turn out to be inadequate for a hundred or so cultures, I found a live slime in the bin - it was quickly dispatched with a dose of bleach but that means things need changing. I tried just dumping everything into a vat of bleach, too messy by far and it means having a 5l bucket of bleach around.

I'll spare you the photos. New protocol for me - all my waste now goes into clear cellophane 2l bags, disinfectant is sprayed on and is kneeded into the waste ( the problem was the stuff not penetrating into large piles of oats ). Bags are changed once a day, old bags are kept for several days until I'm certain nothing is alive. 

It stinks, it feels gross and it's disgusting but I'm using a kilo of oats a week so I need to be a lot sharper on my biosecurity. I'm not suggesting everyone should do this but if you're bulk growing it's a good idea - we don't want news stories about big slimes roaming the city. 

Views: 60

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds cool! Not growing in bulk over here, but I'll keep that in mind if I ever do.

Just out of curiosity, how do you have your slime space laid out?

Did you tried hydrogen peroxide? It promotes a very high level of oxidation of proteins and lipids, at much higher levels than potassium permanganate or chlorine. It is widely used as a sterilization method in laboratory glassware and surgical instruments.

I always use it to sterilize my booze-making tools againt stray yeasts and bacterial spores, with great success.

Hi 

I've used it for mushroom culture but it's really expensive, and the thirty vol stuff is downright nasty. Sodium percarbonate is pretty good too, I use it when I need something that doesn't leave residue 

RSS

© 2020   Created by Heather Barnett.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service