The Slime Mould Collective

An international network of/for intelligent organisms

July 2017 Blog Posts (2)

On enclosures

When I started to work with P. Polycephalum I build an elevated, acrylate enclosure that allowed me to slip pieces of paper underneath to help me create designs of oatmeal, along the lines of the famous Tokyo subway experiment. It looked like this:



Added by Jan-Maarten Luursema on July 24, 2017 at 21:00 — 2 Comments

Substrate experiment

To curb Physarum Polycephalum's (for convenience known as Andi in our household) tendency to wander, I have used a 'moat', a ring of high-salt agar around its standard agar living area. This works fine, only is somewhat labor intensive to maintain and also harms Andi, who keeps burning itself trying to go where no slime mold went before.

I experimented with four alternative substrates to replace the salty agar: 1. felt, thinking this would interfere with its creeping motion; 2.…


Added by Jan-Maarten Luursema on July 22, 2017 at 11:00 — 2 Comments

© 2024   Created by Heather Barnett.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service