The Slime Mould Collective

An international network of/for intelligent organisms

So you want slime? 

I can give you slime. I'll post physarum to anyone anywhere free of charge. 

"Free?" you say, surely that's too good to be true? 

Indeed it is, I said free of charge, not actually free. This is the slime mould collective, lone oat flakes do not get visited by physarum fairy. You must prove your worth if you want to join and engage with the network. Assimilation doesn't hurt, we promise and you might like it. 

Tell us why you want the slime, what are your hopes and fears for slimekind? Where do you you see your slime in five years time?

A paragraph, a short story, maybe a few lines of verse, how about an expressive dance? We don't mind we just want you to communicate.

In return we will let you have your very own slime sent discreetly in a plain envelope - your friends and family need never know! 

Views: 5884

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello! I have been fascinated by slime mould ever since I saw a YouTube video and did some research. I’ve tried to grow a colony, but it failed. In joining, I was hoping that I could get some help, info, tips and a sample of physarium that I can confirm, will work.

As of now I hope to do many things with slime mould, for starters, I have read part of The Slime Mould Manifesto and would like to try forming some sclerotium(s?), maybe give some away and try to get more people interested in this. I would also like to try experimenting with it, seeing how it works, what it can do, even investigate its “memory” I’ve seen some posts on.

That’s also where I see my colonies in the future, doing interesting experiments and studies, maybe see if it can interact with computers using itself as a switch between two metal prongs or seeing if it could sense and react to electricity, as well as studies on its memory during/after splitting colonies and touching a separate colony (I've seen things saying they share info like locations of food when they touch).

As for some media, here’s a story of a slime mould looking for oats:

In the quiet darkness of the damp landscape, I, a humble slime mould, continued my quest. My world consisted of vast, sprawling tissues, each drenched in moisture, a perfect environment for my kind.

Without the luxury of scent or sight, my search for sustenance was a methodical exploration. I extended my moist tendrils across the fibrous terrain, feeling my way through the landscape. Each movement was deliberate, a slow, creeping crawl across the damp expanse.

My tentacles fanned out, spreading in all directions. It was a game of chance, a patient spreading of my network in hopes of stumbling upon food. Moments turned into what felt like an eternity as I searched the landscape, exploring every crevice and corner.

Suddenly, I felt something different. I enveloped it, testing its texture and composition. It was an oat flake, soft and inviting. Triumph surged through me.

Replenished and invigorated, I retreated, leaving behind the waste. My tendrils retracted, drawing me back into the center of myself. Soon I would embark on another journey through the damp tissues, another quest for sustenance.

In this empty landscape, every day was a challenge, but it was one I faced with determination and resilience. For I was a slime mould, navigating my world through touch and persistence, and each discovery was a testament to the power of mould.

Thank you very much!
From, Liam
If you could send me a sclerotium, that would be amazing! Let me know and I can send you my mail address. Thank you!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Heather Barnett.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service